12/31/15

A Simple Story - Gwen Harwood

A visiting conductor
     when I was seventeen,
took me back to his hotel room
     to cover the music scene.

I'd written a composition.
     Would wonders never cease –
here was a real musician
     prepared to hold my piece.

He spread my score on the counterpane
     with classic casualness,
and put one hand on the manuscript
     and the other down my dress.

It was hot as hell in The Windsor.
     I said I'd like a drink.
We talked across gin and grapefruit,
     and I heard the ice go clink

as I gazed at the lofty forehead
     of one who led the band,
and guessed at the hoarded sorrows
     no wife could understand.

I dreamed of a soaring passion
     as an egg might dream of flight,
while he read my crude sonata.
     If he'd said, ‘That bar's not right,’

or, ‘Have you thought of a coda?’
     or, ‘Watch that first repeat,’
or, ‘Modulate to the dominant’
     he'd have had me at his feet.

But he shuffled it all together,
     and said, ‘That's lovely, dear,’
as he put it down on the washstand
     in a way that made it clear

that I was no composer.
     And being young and vain,
removed my lovely body
     from one who'd scorned my brain.

I swept off like Miss Virtue
     down dusty Roma Street,
and heard the goods trains whistle
     WHO? WHOOOOOO? in aching heat.

2 comments:

  1. Came here through: https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/how-sexual-harassment-affected-the-careers-of-two-australian-writers-20180117-h0jvi3.html . I had been reading my Harwood this morning and bumped into this to find a poems title to pursue.. more greatness - though this not my favorite of hers - she remains my favorite Australian poet who just-so-happens to have been a woman. I am grateful every time I browse her collected works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link - I shall read the Hewett memoir "Wild Card", also the Collected Works of Harwood. Am just learning A Simple Story now; it's simply yet superbly written.

      Delete